About Sherwood Park
Sherwood Park is surrounded by numerous acreage subdivisions and provides easily accessible services for the acreage communities.
The area was historically rich in buffalo and saskatoons, which provided an important source of food and clothing for the Cree and Saulteaux who frequented the area. The first Europeans arrived in this region late in the 18th century.
In the early 1950s, developers John Hook Campbell and John Mitchell envisioned a satellite town of 100 houses to accommodate employees of the (predominantly oil and gas) industries located along Refinery Row to the east of the City of Edmonton. In September 1955 the first model homes were opened to the public in a development called Campbelltown. Later in 1956, the name was changed to Sherwood Park, because Canada Post would not approve Campbelltown. Apparently several Canadian communities had similar names. So the developers came up with the name of Sherwood Park. Their reasoning remains a mystery.
Today, Sherwood Park has about 65,000 people, and a strong economy with over $9.0 billion worth of major projects completed, announced, or under construction. Refinery Row includes some of the largest industrial facilities in Western Canada, including Esso’s Strathcona Refinery, and numerous other refineries. Sherwood Park has extensive recreational facilities, a performing arts centre called Festival Place.
To learn more go to http://www.strathcona.ca